Monday, December 10, 2018

Paranormal Parasites

Only two more days of diving here.  I’m going to make the most of it!

We went pretty far away today and only as we were pulling up to Beang Bay did I realize I had already been there on the first day.  It is a really fun couple of dives!

Before the night dive, Peter told the story of a local Dugong who tries to get it on with guests. It is crazy!  He is really fast and gets right up on the person.  I guess he is lonely.  They nicknamed it Harvey.  After Harvey Weinstein.

Epic night dive.  I found a lot of new nudis and I tried to get a picture of a green pipefish and a red pipefish hanging out together.  I thought it would make a good Christmas card. This is the best I could do:


There was also a white frogfish chomping away on something. I was too late to get the crazy chomping but here is a video of one chomp. Go really slow at like 3 seconds in. Man, these guys are FAST!


Got to have dinner with the four owners/managers of the resort.  They are really very cool people.


At night it rained pretty bad and the power was on again off again.

Here are the nudis I saw today:

141 - Tenellia sp. 58

142 - Unknown (white one maybe Halaxa or Atagema?)

143 - Doto sp. 6

144 - Flabellina cf. rubrolineata
Has a little white parasite on it.  I posted this to Nudibase and Dave Behrens said "Papillate rhinophores. Doesn't match anything in NSSI 2. Maybe new? Anyone - thoughts?".  Marli Wakeling saw the same species but didn't know the ID.  I sent to Pirjo and she says this is Flabellina cf. rubrolineata.

145 - Facelinid sp. 5

146 - Favorinus sp. 10

147 - Goniobranchus fidelis

148 - Marionia sp. 15

149 - Goniobranchus verrieri

150 - Gymnodoris rubropapulosa

151 - Phyllodesmium longicirrum

152 - Phyllodesmium tuberculatum

153 - Phyllodesmium rudmani 

154 - Atagema intecta

No comments:

Post a Comment