Sunday, December 9, 2018

Dolphins and Rainbows

BCDP is my new term. That’s the water that accumulates in your BCD that you have to drain out before you roll in.  The BCD is peeing.

Nico forgot his fins on the first dive so he earned the Chicken!  Graham insisted we have a ceremony for him and we did the Menomena song… but we should have changed to the Chicken Dance!  How have I never thought of singing that when we give out the chicken?  That is the theme song and we could even do the dance along with it.

The first dive was down to 73 degrees.  OMG. It was so cold but luckily I had my 7 mil on and my hooded vest, so I stayed pretty comfortable.  We saw a Wobbegone shark under a ledge.  It was pretty cool.  They just lay there and have lots of fringe around their mouth. I only had a macro lens but this is what they look like:


During the surface interval we started talking about science.  Peter is from Cambridge, England and his dad is a pretty well known scientist who did research with penicillin.  He came up with a method of extracting it that was used with uranium and the atom bomb. As a result, the process was classified. A few years back it was unclassified and now many people reference the method.  I shared that my Grandfather worked on the atom bomb in Oak Ridge. Graham was very impressed with that. I am reading a book right now called The Atomic City Girls: A Novel.  It is very interesting to learn what it was like.

On the ride back we saw a pod of dolphins.

It was raining as we went out to the afternoon dive.  And we saw a rainbow.  A full arch rainbow.  And it wasn’t all that far away.  Wow.

I guess life is all dolphins and rainbows.

It wouldn’t be a dive trip if Lightroom didn’t give me trouble.  I guess the good news is that it behaved until today.  On my afternoon import, the application stopped working. I did all my tricks and it wasted a couple of hours but I think I may have it working again.  I may have lost a few pictures but I don’t think they were any unique nudis.

Here are the nudis I saw today:
134 - Dermatobranchus kalyptos
135 - Phyllidiopsis pipeki
136 - Mexichromis multituberculata
137 - Hexabranchus sanguineus
138 - Goniobranchus kuniei
139 - Chromodoris annae
140 - Thuridilla gracilis

No comments:

Post a Comment