Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Whirlpool Whimsy

The sunsets here are really pink.  The sky is pink and the reflection of pink is on the water and it is just magical.  I am not sure I can capture the beauty of it on camera.



I am finding I have more time in my mornings now too.

The guides use the term “fresh” for any water that is cold.  I’ve never heard that before.

During the surface interval, the Hawaiian couple told stories about celebrities who have chartered their boat on Maui.  Always makes for juicy entertainment.

After the second dive, we were caught in a whirlpool.  I loved it.  At first I thought, oh maybe I should kick to the boat.  Then I thought, no they know where I am… I’ll just ride it.  And so I did!  It was so cool I was on one side of the boat and then I didn’t kick or move at all and 30 seconds later I was on the other side of the boat.  It was like riding a carosel.  The Hawaiian couple didn’t find it so amusing though.  It freaked them out a little.  So much that the guy had to hand off his camera to Sam to bring up.

There is a huge red dragonfly that visits me in the shower every lunchtime.  He sits on the exact same leaf of a plant in the shower and just checks me out.  The French word for dragonfly is libellule.  Pretty.



After the third dive there was a school of anchovies near the surface.  It was so amazing silvery and dizzying.  Cheryl was already at the surface and I told her to look down, but they were gone.

Dinner was delicious (as per usual) and I crawled into bed afterward.

Here are the slugs we found today.  I’m getting closer to surpassing what I saw last time (160):

153 - Phyllidiopsis striata


154 - Phyllodesmium poindimiei



155 - Phyllidia elegans


looks like a Phyllidia pustulosa but the rhinophores are orange

156 - Hancockia sp. 7




157 - Phyllodesmium parangatum



No comments:

Post a Comment