Monday, September 7, 2015

First Nudibranch Selfie Ever!

Well, it’s Labor Day in the US today.

After more sleep than anyone should have in one night, I got up and Martha offered me some Electrolytes that you mix into water and drink.  It doesn’t taste great, but I’ll take any help I can get so I’m gulping it down.

At the end of the second dive, I found a huge Jouruna funebris and I used my Go Pro to take a Nudibranch Selfie.  Ha Ha!!!


Everyone agreed it was the first Nudibranch Selfie they'd ever seen.  :)

On the night dive, something was hanging out in between my mask and the LCD.  I thought I’d finish photographing the nudi I was on and then figure out what it was.  It turns out it was a pipefish!!!  Holy cow!!!  I was getting hit on by a pipefish.  I slowly brought it down to the sandy bottom and tried to take pictures of it.



Now my Lightroom catalog is giving me issues.  Ugh.  I can’t seem to figure this one out yet.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another!!!

The chef served my favorite snack today… fried banana with cheese and a little bit of chocolate sauce.  I was feeling good enough to have one.  YUM!

OK.  After much consternation, I finally fixed the Lightroom catalog thing… only to find out that somehow drops were getting into my camera.  Seriously!?!?!?

I put one of those moisture munchers in the bottom and it was completely wet.  That scares me.  Not cool.  It doesn’t look like anything got harmed and the light definitely did not go off, so I should be ok but I am really missing the old Light and Motion housing which was always bone dry.  I never even considered putting in a moisture muncher.

Bernard gave another presentation finishing the nudibranch naming topic.  He talked about a marine lake in England that is well known for having unique fish and slug species.  It’s called Lough Ine, a stunning marine lough in a corner of Ireland.  Graham also talked about a book Reflections on a Summer Sea by Trevor Norton, a humorous author about a diving expedition there and all the interesting things they found.

Speaking of interesting things, I saw my first Benthic ctenophore today.  It kinda looks like a nudi or a flatworm, but it’s not.  Pretty cool looking though!


Here are the new nudis I saw today:
127 - Hypselodoris kanga

128 - Unknown (Platydoris or Rostanga - A see through nudi on coral)

129 - Rostanga sp. 8

130 - Hypselodoris infucata

131 - Mexichromis mariei

132 - Cratena lineata

133 - Eubranchus sp. 13

134 - Cuthona sp. 58


135 - Discodoris cebuensis

No comments:

Post a Comment