Thursday, September 3, 2015

Don't be a knob, turn the knob

I slept until my little watch alarm went off at 5am.

Twice today on dives, I had trouble with my air.  Both times the crew turned the tank knob partially, but not all the way on.  On one dive, I felt a weird draw but was able to signal to Newman (the dive guide) to open my tank value for me and I was fine.

On the night dive, I was sort of by myself (but still within the area of the group).  I seriously thought something was wrong with my regulator, so I surfaced fairly slowly from about 40 feet.  I took a draw off my integrated Air 2 but it had the same problem.  As the crew pulled my tank/BC/Reg up onto the skiff, I told them not to touch it because I wanted someone to look at it. But when I was back up on the skiff, I realized that if I just turned the valve open all the way, it was fine.  LOOOOOSER.  Since it was pretty early in the dive and we weren’t that deep, I went back down.

That was just lazy sloppy behavior on my part.  Ugh.  I need to check every time all the time to make sure my air is on all the way!

Christianne still is not diving, poor thing.  We did have a good conversation about Villa Markisa.  Eventually, she is looking at selling the resort and building a little retirement community nearby.  Super cool.  It kinda reminds me of the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel but with retirees having common interests of diving and nudibranchs.

I was SO DIZZY after the night dive and had some stomach troubles too.  I just had a diet coke and went to bed to try to sleep as much as possible overnight.


Here are the new nudibranchs I saw today:

31 - Goniobranchus geometricus
Yup.  This one (my favorite and the one on my blog home page) had its name changed from Chromodoris geometrica.  

32 - Phyllodesmium magnum 
This one was beautiful but there was a line of divers dying to get a picture of it behind me, so I didn't spend enough time to get a good photo.  This will have to do.

33 - Flabellina exoptata
This one is pretty common.

34 - Aegires villosus
Looks like candy!

35 - Flabellina rubrolineata

These were everywhere.

36 - Ceratophyllidia sp. 2

This one is VERY rare and I've never seen it before.  Bubble wrap nudi?

37 - Phyllodesmium colemani

The funny thing about this one is that I was obsessed with a little wiggling worm nearby before Newman showed me this...
Ha ha.  It's not a worm.  The nudi just lost one of its cerata. Oops.

38 - Halgerda batangas

39 - Thuridilla lineolata

40 - Tritonia sp. 6
This one was ridiculously tiny.

41 - Okenia liklik
I love these spiky cerata - and it looks like there is a second nudi on its back.  And how cool is its name?  Lik Lik! 

42 - Flabellina riwo
At some dive sites, there were dozens of these!

43 - Plakobranchus sp. 4
Horns like a bull?

44 - Chelidonura amoena

45 - Phyllodesmium koehleri

46 - Favorinus tsuruganus
So.  Everyone makes fun of my Chicago accent.  Especially when I say Fav-o-RYYYYN-us.  Russell and Graham especially - they can't get it out of their heads.  FAVORINUS.  FAVORINUS.  FAVORINUS.  That's to keep Russell saying it until the next trip.

47 - Thuridilla flavomaculata

48 - Aplysia parvula
This is a sea hare.  The cool thing about them is that you can see a little basic eye on them.

49 - Phyllidia ocellata

50 - Roboastra gracilis

51 - Thuridilla carlsoni

52 - Hypselodoris tryoni

This one had a name change too - it used to be Risbecia tryoni.

53 - Costasiella kuroshimae

This one has pink tips.

54 - Aplysia sp.


55 - Doto sp. 12

56 - Eubranchus sp. 25

57 - Eubranchus sp. 27

58 - Philinopsis speciosa


This one used to be named Philinopsis cyanea.  I found two different color combinations and each dove into the silt, disappearing completely!

59 - Melibe engeli

This one is super special.  It is pretty much see through.  It also has this awesome mouth that swoops open and swallows up whatever is in front of it.  You can see it here on the left, although I still haven't gotten it perfectly in focus.  It is so difficult to photograph.

60 - Cuthona sp. 13

61 - Cratena sp.2

I'm so pissed I didn't spend more time with this one.  I thought it was a boring common one, but it is kinda rare!  It has orange markings on its "face".


62 - Pleurobranchus albiguttatus

No comments:

Post a Comment