Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Schooling Pygmy Mating Wunderpus

Over lunch Zee and I sent funny messages to Graham.  We also worked on identifying many of my unknown nudis.  It’s so much more fun when you have at least one other brancher to compare notes with. 

During one of my dives I thought I ought to have a “Big Year” for my 50th birthday where I try to see as many nudis as possible.  Hmm…

On the afternoon dive we saw schooling pygmy mating wunderpus!!!

OK, just kidding but we did see mating wunderpus.  The little male was riding on top of the big female… while she foraged for food.  Does that mean the sex was so good that she was now hungry?  Or was the sex so bad she was bored and wanted a sandwich (a la George Castanza).  One will never know…

I was almost to deco and my camera wouldn’t focus so I got a couple of really bad Go Pro videos of it.  I’ll try to screencapture a still and post it.

We rallied for a night dive and they mentioned there might be a Kalinga ornata.  But no dice.  L  I did backlight a batfish for the first time though.  That was pretty cool.

119 - Phyllodesmium undulatum

120 - Unknown (maybe Notobryon wardi but so tough to tell)

121 - Unknown (White blobby - also maybe a Notobryon wardi)

122 - Phyllodesmium longicirrum

123 - Marionia arborescens

124 - Flabellina sp. 7

125 - Hypselodoris sp. 14

126 - Notodoris gardineri

127 - Rostanga sp. 2

128 - Okenia kendi

129 - Unknown (just itty bitty - you can see brown rhinophores)

130 - Unknown (Eubranchus with white rhinophores and see through sacs with orange branches in them)

131 - Carminodoris flammea

No comments:

Post a Comment