Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sushi Disco


One of the most well known malacologists is Neville Coleman.  I carry around a signed copy of his 1,001 Nudibranchs because it’s a comprehensive small guide.  Other divers don’t like it because it’s not as accurate as some other field guides.  Someone mentioned that Neville had died recently.  I didn’t know that, but I guess an Australian scientist dying doesn’t necessarily make the Chicago news. 

Graham kept asking me for my nudicount and how many new ones I saw on each dive, etc.  But I have to tell you my technology is soooo outdated, I couldn’t get to that answer very quickly.  It took me so long to download, organize, identify and compile… whew!  I guess a painter’s house is never painted.  I really need to upgrade my software, laptop and underwater housing/camera.  Everyone kept saying “This is NOT a vacation!”  We were all hell-bent on finding more nudis!

I did upgrade my swimsuits for this trip though.  I bought a sushi one and a disco ball one (all silver and sparkly).  Jayne wanted to know the brand and where I bought it so I told her.  It turns out that Jayne used to be a competitive swimmer and even competed internationally in Japan.  But the wildest thing about it is that she didn’t really start swimming until she was in her late 30s.  My respect for her just keeps growing.

I wore my ugly sushi shirt to dinner.  I bought it in 2011 when Graham took me to a sushi jazz club in Bali.  Everyone laughed and said how much it looked like my sushi bathing suit.

Here’s the slug slimedown for today:

  
54 - Favorinus sp. 4
Graham kept saying this with an exaggerated Chicago accent: "Fav-o-RIN-us".

55 - Costasiella fornicaria

56 - Hypselodoris nigrostriata

57 - Lobiger cf. souverbii
Super rare!  We were excited to find this.
 

58 - Melibe sp.
This nudi is soooooooo unique.  See that big bubble thing on the right?  That's the head.  It's sorta like an octopus how it spreads it's head out like that and looks for food... and then it shinks back down.  Awesome.

59 - Chelidonura hirundinina

60 - Stylocheilus striatus

61 - Phyllodesmium sp.

62 - Hypselodoris sp. 2
It's coming for you!

63 - Eubranchus sp. 3
Eubranchus always hang out on hydroids.

64 - Flabellina sp. 1
Flabby!

65 - Sakuraeolis sp.

66 - Gymnodoris sp. 21

67 - Elysia sp. 10
Looks like it has a personality!

68 - Thorunna sp. 1

69 - Cyerce sp. 4

70 - Aplysia parvula
This is a sea hare.  If you look closely, it has rudimentary eyes near the rhinophores.

71 - Dendrodoris denisoni
Underwater this didn't look very pretty at all, but the strobe makes it pop!  So pretty and detailed!

72 - Eubranchus rubropunctatus

73 - Chromodoris collingwoodi
Gorgeous.


74 - Plocamopherus pecoso
See the three pair of white short lateral appendages.


75 - Okenia rhinorma
This guy was hauling ass across the sand!  I've never seen one like this.  I was pumped.

76 - Platydoris sp.

77 - Pleurobranchus albiguttatus
Lots of sand on this one.  That white stuff on the left are the eggs it is laying.

78 - Kaloplocamus cf. dokte
Wacky.

No comments:

Post a Comment