Monday, February 24, 2014

The $5,000 Dive

Bill let me borrow his “big boy” camera for two dives this morning.  That is soooooo generousl.  He set it up so that all I had to do was fire a lever to take the shot and adjust the strobes for lighting.

On the first dive, he put in an angled viewfinder.  OMG, it took me forever to find anything, even if the subject was right in front of the lens.  I’m told that it gets much easier and you get used to it but I was spending five minutes just setting up for a shot! 

On the second dive, he changed it to the straight viewfinder, but even that I found challenging to put my mask right up to it and angle it just right and fire off the shot.  I much prefer the display screen of my camera.  I was also challenged by the float on the camera keeping it in the horizontal mode – it also messed with my buoyancy and was a bit challenging to get used to.

What do you think of the image quality though?  Any different on Nudis 26 - 28?  They were shot will Bill’s camera, not mine.

I am totally in the market for a new camera, so this was really helpful for me to try this out!  I am waiting for the housing setups to get smaller though, not bigger!!!

26 - Thecacera pacifica


27 - Sagaminopteron psychedelicum

This one is not only super cool, it has the best name.  :)  See how small it its?  Those are grains of sand it is crawling around on.  That's why I want a better camera set up.

28 - Glossodoris sp. 1

29 - Hypselodoris apolegma
This guy is so beautiful.  We also saw a couple laying eggs.

30 - “Taringa” halgerda
I'm not sure why Taringa is in quotes, but I dig this guy.

31 - Hypselodoris bullocki

32 - Phyllidia varicosa
Look closely, there's a copopod on the top of this nudi!

33 - Chelidonura amoena

34 - Chromodoris hintuanensis

35 - Marionia sp. 13

36 - Flabellina riwo 

37 - Asteronotus spongicolus
The thing on the left is actually a flatworm, but the thing on the right is a nudi.

38 - Platydoris cinerobranchiata
There are two of these!  I found them (or more like they found me, they were so big).  I find it's even more special when I find ones on my own.

39 - Trapania cf . Euryeia

40 - Gymnodoris citrine
You can almost see through this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment