Sunday, January 15, 2012

Countdown to DIVE-rsity in the Philippines

It's been quite a year since my trip to Bali.  I've been working a lot, but also volunteering at Shedd Aquarium every Friday morning.  Diving in the Caribbean Reef exhibit never gets old, but there are not too many Nudis.  I spend more time with Nickel and the Bonnethead Sharks and got a quick mention on the Shedd blog:
http://interactive.sheddaquarium.org/2011/08/sharks-at-sheddcaribbean-reef-.html

The closest mollusc to a nudibranch at Shedd is the limpet.  There are a few black blob-ish limpets near the seahorses.  I'm not exactly sure which species they are.

Maybe I need to learn more about limpets by watching this movie:
The Incredible Mr. Limpet
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1987026688/tt0058230

So the countdown is on to get my gills wet.  I leave on Saturday for the Philippines, one of the best places on the planet to photographic nudibranchs.  I can't wait!  I've been there twice before, but neither time on a liveaboard.

Boracay 11/17/2005 - 11/24/2005
Puerto Galera 3/9/2006 - 3/16/2006

When I was in Puerto Galera, I stayed at a resort called Atlantis.  This trip, I am going back to another Atlantis Resort, but this time in Dumaguete.
http://www.atlantishotel.com/dumaguete/

Dumaguete is very close to Apo Island, the location that Shedd's Wild Reef exhibit was modeled after.  I'm going to see if I can get over there for a bit.

Then I'm off to Atlantis Azores Liveaboard where we will be doing five dives a day.
http://www.atlantishotel.com/azores/index.php

I sprung for a couple of new strobes and I am so excited to capture images of those nudibranchs and other little critters.  Oh, and we've also heard there are plenty of whale sharks in the area around now... so maybe I'll look up once in a while.

I'll have internet access at the Atlantis Resort, but not once I get on the Liveaboard.  I will do my best to collect photos and count unique species of nudis on this trip, like my Bali trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment