Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Three nudibranchs and a mangy cat

Wow, what a great day.  I finally got underwater.  It was the happiest day I've had in a really long time.  All we dove was a checkout dive just on the house reef but it was gorgeous!  I scored three nudibranchs today.  Here's the rundown:

1. Chromodoris magnifica
2. Chromodoris coi
3. Phyllidia varicosa
We used to call the last one the Fried Egg Nudibranch when I was in Kona.  It kinda looks like one right?
NOTE - Jayne told me that this one is actually a Phyllidia cf. elegans.  Ugh!  I do have plenty of Phyllidia varicosa picture though.  I'll work harder on understanding the difference between the two.

Wakatobi is a very high end resort.  I have a gorgeous bungalow with my own lounge chairs, hammock, and porch... complete with a mangy cat.  Ugh.  I guess the woman who stayed here last week was fond of this feline and now it likes to hang out here.  Unfortunately, I'm allergic... but I think as long as she doesn't sneak inside I should be fine.

I have some really awesome people on this trip... and I learned of an interesting story.  It's always "As the prop turns..." in these diving communities.  More later, I'm exhausted.

1 comment: