Thursday, October 8, 2026

O’Hare Happiness

I used Lyft for the first time and reserved a ride the day before.  The driver was really good and on time.  I realized I forgot my iPhone charger before we left the condo driveway and I ran back up to get it.  Hooray!  And the Lyft cost $20 less than uber.

I arrived long before the check in counter even opened, so I just sat and read my book and charged my phone… with the charger I almost forgot!

Then I got the friendliest older guy at the ANA counter and he DID NOT WEIGH MY CARRY ON.  Hallelujah.  This is always a point of contention since my carryon is way over the weight limit.  Since it has all my underwater camera gear, I definitely don't want to check it.

I quickly left the area before the guy at the counter could change his mind and… I caught a glimpse of a very skinny Cheryl Mell out of the corner of my eye before exiting.  Holy crap.  I didn’t stop but texted her.

We connected after security and it turns out she and Patti are going diving in the Spice Islands.  They are also leaving from Ambon.  So we are on the same flights to Jakarta!  Wow, what a small world that I would bump into some of my SCUBA Sistahs at O'Hare.

What are the chances?  They headed off to the fancy lounge and I hit Chilis.  The restaurant wasn't serving breakfast though so I went for buffalo wings at 9:30 in the morning.

The check in counter didn't seem very busy.  Maybe the flight won’t be that full.  That would be awesome.

Womp Womp.  My first flight to Tokyo was completely full, but 14 hours went pretty fast.  Then I had an empty middle seat on the second 8 hour flight, so that was great to have a little extra wiggle room.

I wasn't too bad off after landing and got my visa on arrival as well as my bags.  Then I hit the ATM before searching for my pre-arranged ride.  The ATMs here only let users get out 1million rupiah at a time which is only like $55 USD.  Well, I was glad to get some local currency out.

My ride was pretty easy but by now it was about 2am.  I don't think I fell asleep until 4am or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment